My workflow now started to be stable

Almost finishing my piece completely in Ardour (with MIDI editing). After some fixes I’ve done in the Yoshimi and Calf plugins, and also in the Lilv library,  Ardour started be stable on my case, and the new work-flow to give results… I can concentrate now on music. When the piece will be released, there also will follow a blog post about my thoughts on music creation with free software, and GNU/Linux.

Changing my Workflow: Ardour MIDI Editing

Until now my workflow was LMMS->Ardour. Than I updated Debian and LMMS (repo version) started to crash. I thought It was due to some plugins, but not. I have compiled the new version of LMMS, but it doesn’t compile the ZynAddSubFx plugin. Anyway I had plans to move completely to Ardour.

Now I succeeded to compile Yoshimi as a LV2 plugin, so, I have started to work on a new idea purely in Ardour.

Here are my main thoughts about Ardour MIDI editing:

  • Sometimes the first note of a region is not played.
  • Transition, for example, from one chord to another often the previous chord is still played and clashes with the current cord (it may be from the synthesizer, but I don know).
  • Note dynamics (velocity) is visible only by color nuances. That is not so practical. Not event saying that there are a lot of people with dichromacy.
  • I think piano roll is the right thing, and there are other issues regarding  MIDI, but I’ll see if my experience will change after some pieces created.